Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Black Cat watched from the Roof

It was the dark lobby in front of my house. It was 15 minutes past ten when I reached home and pushed the gate open and stepped on the lobby,shrouded in a pitch black sheet. The sky looked thick with the fat black clouds which gulped the moon time and again as they passed to the east.The weather was heavy and saturated with moisture which had collected on my face.I carefully watched my steps as I neared the main gate and reached out to press the bell. It broke the silence that had cast its enchanting effect on the entire area. My mom answered and I could hear the sound of the bunch of keys that she must have picked up, and she asked me if she should throw them from the kitchen window. I said I will catch it. Her hands came out and then things froze and within a second my imaginations took over. Those keys were the ones that would be thrown to me to open the gate of success that is in front of me. I must catch it. If I would fail, the keys would drop to the ground and go down the drain of failure. I had to catch it for sure and missing it was not an option. there were a thousand men peeping from windows all around, watching me and praying so that I fail and then they would boo me and show me the ground. I would be chained and put up in a cross and they would throw spears at me, hitting my eye and my genitals. They were experts in hitting targets. then they would set me to fire and feed my roasted flesh to vultures.

The keys were released. I could hear the sound of the metals as they fell. This is my moment. Of breaking a thousand hearts. Of survival against the barbarians. I held by breath. Cupped my hands and zeroed in my vision. The keys dropped. My palms closed. An ending sound. There was cold metal in my palms. I had won. All the windows closed. And the clouds passed and the moon shined on me. A star winked at me. It was Granpa. He was happy as he had won along with me.
I climbed up the steps to go to my room and stood before the mirror. I smiled at the mirror. It smiled back. We both were happy.

1 comment:

Roofing Bronx said...

Great post, thanks for sharing.